Our future depends on children’s books

Wednesday, February 22, 2012.

Much of what we become is shaped by the ideas we’re exposed to and the relationships of which we are a part. The stronger those foundations are from childhood, the better equipped we are to understand the people with whom we interact and the world around us. Childrens books are the tools that help us open the door to a childs natural curiosity, creativity and desire to connect, and are one of our strongest hopes for a great future.

It’s not entirely surprising we never published this video, here, given we did have our mind on other things at the time. We prepared a talk Mark delivered at TEDxOttawa on December 6, 2009. Here it is.

Filed under: Video

Comment by Peggy

February 23, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Glad to see you back… hope you are all well. We’ve missed you!

Comment by Lisa Howie

February 23, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Enjoyed your TED talk. Thanks for much for sharing.

Comment by whitney stewart

February 23, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

I didn’t realize you were back online. Thanks for the great Ted Talk, which I will forward on social media. Wishing you health and well-being.

Comment by Mary Ann Shupe

February 23, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Thanks you for posting this. I’m sharing it with fellow educators, family and friends. The world would probably be a better place if the adults took the time to share picture books with one another, getting us to an acting rather than reacting state of being.

Comment by Elizabeth

February 24, 2012 @ 12:04 am

Lovely, grounding and inspiring. Thank you.

Comment by wendy

February 24, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

Just perfect and I’m so happy that you are back. Everything you said resonates with truth.

Comment by Emma Ward

April 20, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Books do shape the minds of our children, whether people want to admit it or not. We grow up into the people we are because of the books we read and the people we associate.

This is one reason why I started writing my own “Bob and Joe” series of books. Teaches good lessons and is entertaining at the same time.

Comment by Chris

April 22, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

I very much enjoyed this presentation. I am an elementary Library Media Specialist who follows your blog and I finally have a moment (spring vacation!) to get caught up with it. I stopped and started this video as I read reviews of the books you mention. I am adding many to my Wish List for the next school year. Thank you so much!