Bridges to Obama: Let Freedom Sing

Wednesday, August 26, 2009.

Let Freedom SingAuthor: Vanessa Newton (on JOMB)
Illustrator: Vanessa Newton
Published: 2009 Blue Apple Books
ISBN: 9781934706909

Spot-on sixties-style illustrations, simple, springboard text and a soulful, sing along refrain shine a celebratory light on 18 individuals who stood tall and opened doors for generations.

More freedom reading on JOMB:

We’d love to hear your thoughts on a favourite children’s book. Leave a voice message on our JOMB listener hotline, +1-206-350-6487, so we can include your audio in our show.

Comment by Vanessa Brantley-Newton

August 26, 2009 @ 11:27 am

Well…. Oh my…. I’m lost for words right now… I’m am overwhelmed. My husband and my daughter sat and listened as tears found there way down my cheeks. Oh how wonderful it was! I have posted your website to my blog. I sent a blast out through facebook as well. You will never ever know how grateful I am for Podcast such as this one. I have listened to other podcast that you have done and it’s always so wonderful to listen to you both and get your point of view. It’s very important podcast like your. I wish you many, many, many more episodes and fun! I send you many thanks and hugs,
Vanessa

August 26, 2009 @ 8:06 pm

Wow, Vanessa!
Thank you for your very kind note.
It is our pleasure to sing the praises of this beautifully crafted book.

Comment by Carla

August 26, 2009 @ 11:54 pm

VN is the kind of person who has the ability to drown out anyone’s self-doubts. I have learned this about this wonderful and supportive person in only the last two or three weeks since finding her blog. She seems to only be concerned with the growth of others. Her book was a great pick for this site.

Comment by Don Franco

August 27, 2009 @ 6:51 am

Wow!!! Keep it up guys…your vision of empowerment is moving along in an excellent way.

Comment by Shari Brown

August 30, 2009 @ 8:08 pm

Vanessa You are truly an inspiration to all who know you and you work. You are an example of what it means to use the gifts God gives you to uplift, encourage, educate, inspire and motivate others. I am so proud to know you as my friend and Im inspired to go and do likewise! Continue to do things in excellence! Shari

Pingback by Nonfiction Monday « SimplyScience Blog

August 31, 2009 @ 9:33 am

[...] Andrea at Just One More Book  has a chat about Let Freedom Sing by Vanessa [...]

Comment by Jill

June 30, 2011 @ 12:27 am

This podcast was amazing for me, a black person to hear. To know that this book gave the two of you so much insight into the black experience makes me so happy. I’m excited that you two were willing to do additional resources and to consider alternate perspectives rather than continuing to assuming that the excitement behind our joy was racist. Thank you SO MUCH. The more that we all try to understand and APPRECIATE not TOLERATE one another the more we will get along in the end!