Rock Stars of Reading, part 1: Road Trip

Tuesday, March 31, 2009.

It was a little idea that turned into a couple of phone calls, then a few emails and eventually exploded into two-and-a-half months of planning.  Finally, after a restless night, Just One More Book!! (Mark and Andrea, and their two daughters, Lucy and Bayla) set out early in the morning of November 12, 2008 for a six-day road trip to live, eat, socialize, paint and read with children’s book creators in Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Part 1 of this series recounts the story of how the trip came to be and includes footage of the drive from Ottawa, Ontario to Roxbury, Connecticut.  It also features photographs and video footage of some of the people we spent time with and places we visited — all of which will appear later in the series.  The travel sequence ends with our arrival at Lane Smith’s and Molly Leach’s home.

MUSIC

• Theme: Woolly Mammoth by Robert Farrell (from Sun House Fury, part 1)
  • Metal Stabs by Vergel Evans (from Lx7 Promo Release)
  • Animus Girl by Savium (from Inane and Serene)

Comment by Lori Calabrese

March 31, 2009 @ 7:26 am

Wow- looks like such an awesome trip! You guys amaze me…I’m a former TV producer, so I truly appreciate the amount of work you put into documenting the trip and bringing it all together–Great Job! Looking forward to the rest!

All the best,
Lori

Comment by Tricia

March 31, 2009 @ 8:07 am

You have now made me so homesick for NY and fall in New England. However, this is so exciting that I can’t wait to hear/see more!

Comment by John Meadows

March 31, 2009 @ 5:43 pm

Wow! I’m very impressed, especially by the use of sound, still frames, and the black screen at the beginning. Very effective, and VERY nicely put together!!

Comment by Candace Ryan

March 31, 2009 @ 11:55 pm

Great job you two! I can’t wait for the upcoming episodes. The only thing that would have made it better is popcorn, but I’ll be ready next time.

Comment by Gregory K.

April 1, 2009 @ 2:46 am

Can’t wait for the next one!

Comment by Andy

April 1, 2009 @ 7:43 am

I’ve only watched/listened to the first 35 seconds or so… already disgusted with myself for not finding a way to get out there last year at the gallery and hang with you guys. What a cool, cool trip!

Comment by Mark

April 1, 2009 @ 8:55 am

Thank you, everyone, for the extremely positive feedback. I’m having a lot of fun producing the videos in a way that gives children’s books and the people behind them, their long overdue pop-media treatment.

I’ve received some questions about how I put it all together. I plan to put together a short “making of” documentary at some point.

The series continues tomorrow with the first of three videos featuring Lane Smith.

Pingback by Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast » Blog Archive » Rockitudeness

April 1, 2009 @ 9:24 am

[...] Just One More Book!! — Can we please establish an annual JOMB Appreciation Day for all that they bring to us? Anyway, their latest venture is video footage of their six-day trip at the end of last year to Connecticut and Northampton, in which they stopped and chatted with children’s book authors and illustrators, what they’re calling their November 2008 Rock Stars of Reading road trip. You can read about it here, as well as see their kickin’ promotional video for it. And they kicked it all off yesterday with Part 1. [...]

Comment by Rich Michelson

April 1, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

Hi Mark and Andrea,
You guys were the perfect guests and all your listeners should invite you to visit and stay over, so you’ll never need another hotel room anywhere ever. Of course, since my wife made sure you were comfortable in our house, and my staff took care of everything at the gallery, basically all I did was the inviting (maybe that’s why none of them treat me like a rock star of anything. You think Springsteen still takes out the trash everyday at home AND at work?. Anyway, thanks for the thanks.

Comment by Bookie Woogie

April 1, 2009 @ 12:53 pm

This whole series is going to be great!
- AZ

Comment by Jean Reidy

April 1, 2009 @ 6:44 pm

Wow! I would love to take a trip like that – road trip plus reading two of my favorite pastimes. Thanks for sharing.