Most people are likely to pretend that mental and emotional health issues do not affect them or their loved ones. Yet, whether you’re prepared to admit it or not, mental and emotional health problems do exist in children.
Kim Hix wrote the book No One is Perfect and YOU Are a Great Kid as a gift to her son, Zack, who struggles with ever changing moods, severe anxiety and Tourettes Disorder. He was diagnosed at age four. He’s now thirteen.
This is an interview we would have done under any circumstance. As it turns out, we’re doing this interview as part of Kim Hix’s blog tour: our first blog-tour experience. Kim paid Women on Writing to arrange the tour and, in exchange for our participation, Just One More Book!! was listed on the February edition of the WOW! Women on Writing website and newsletter.
On this edition of Just One More Book!!, author Kim Hix talks about her son Zack’s mental health disorders, the confidence of her family to embrace the person Zack is and helping to raise awareness of mental and emotional health in children through her book.
More on emotional health in children’s books on JOMB:
- Putting ALL Children In The Picture: interview with Susan Clow of “In The Picture”
- Interview with Jessica Grass of “Iris the Dragon”
- Interview with Elizabeth Schlenther, Bibliotherapist and creator of “Healthy Books” directory
- Waiting For Benjamin: A Story about Autism
- Getting to Know Ruben Plotnick
Photo from Intense Kids, Great Kids photos.