Rethinking JustOneMoreBook: Feedback Welcome

Saturday, February 28, 2009.

A lot is changing for our family these days.

On this edition of Just One More Book!! we discuss some of these changes, talk about some of the ways in which this podcast has been affected and ask for your feedback as we work toward building new routines to accommodate changes in work, home and JOMB.

We’d appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.  Please call them in to our listener hotline, +1-206-350-6487 or leave them as a comment on this post.

Filed under: News and Notes

Comment by Jules

February 28, 2009 @ 11:09 am

Oh goodness. I know you all are looking for very specific feedback here and you don’t want just random praise, but I’m going to give you the latter: I DO love that coffee-house vibe of which you spoke, but every little thing you do is of such high quality, no matter where it is, that I truly don’t CARE if you do it at home or at the coffee shop. I DO want you all to readjust things so that you’re not super stressed — if you only do three-a-week from now on, because your work lives are in upheaval, you now no longer do daycare, etc. etc., then — by all means — ADJUST! We’ll still be here. But, whether you do it at home or the coffee shop….they all still have the heart and soul of JOMB, and I don’t even mind hearing your dog or phone.

I cannot WAIT to see the video of the book tour!

Comment by Mark

February 28, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words and great feedback, Jules. It’s hard to gauge what people will accept when they’re used to enjoying our show in a particular way and we’re used to producing it an a certain way. It’s nice to get the feedback (and where applicable, reassurance) before making any changes).

Of course, now you’ve made me feel like we should amp up our efforts. :)

Now… back to editing Jarrett Krosoczka talking about his Lunch Lady book series.

Comment by Gregory K.

February 28, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

Sure, I like the coffee shop vibe, but the reason I listen is the two of you — your interplay and your passion for the subject — and the great books/people you talk to and about. If you did it once a month from your car, I’d listen. So I echo what Jules said that you two need to do what YOU need so that it’s not a cause of stress and frustration and worry. Because ultimately, if the two of you aren’t comfortable doing it, that will show… and that would be the one thing that would impact the listening experience negatively. (Well, that and totally horrific sound quality, which I have not heard!)

Comment by Daniele Rossi

February 28, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

I’m so scatterbrained that it took a couple of episodes for me to realize you haven’t been recording in a cafe! I agree with the Gregory and Jules: the interplay between you and Andrea makes the show even more enjoyable.

Totally podcast when it’s suits your schedule. Otherwise, you’ll suffer from burnout.

Comment by Sheryl

February 28, 2009 @ 3:35 pm

OH MY! I just found you… I know hours and hours of bliss is ahead….

Anyway….I always feel that you must do what is best for your family.

Sheryl

February 28, 2009 @ 3:40 pm

Jules, Greg, Daniele & Sheryl,

Thanks so much for listening and for taking time to leave us such bolstering words and for your support as we go through this time of rejigging.

Andrea

Comment by AZ

February 28, 2009 @ 5:15 pm

In my mind I picture the whole family doing a little jig over there. And after everyone’s stopped to catch their breath, jumping up for some rejigging…

Though the rejigging probably isn’t as fun as all that, it comes with life. And that’s one of the great things about JOMB: its format is so casual and fun and personal, it feels like a snapshot of life. As such, I’d expect the show to ebb and flow and morph over the years the same way lives do. If you’ve got to mix things up every so often, that’s part of the charm!

Just… just… one more book please…

-AZ

Comment by Vicki

February 28, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

We appreciate JOMB no matter where you are creating it from. Please just don’t give it up.

Comment by Terry

February 28, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

Oh no, don’t throw towels (unless you need to mop up after the dog)! Like the fans who preceded me, it doesn’t matter where you create the podcasts. The background noise – dog, phone, clanking dishes – they’re all part of the ambiance and it adds to the “love” that you share in your conversations. Making a weekly *date* to record a couple reviews once a week might be a great way to reconnect. If there are fewer podcasts each week, I might not fall so far behind in my listening.

Comment by bestbook

March 1, 2009 @ 9:28 am

It certainly doesn’t matter to me if there is background noise-coffee mugs, dogs, children, etc. I agree with the comment that for met it is about the conversation and about the thinking about books/reading. I’m sure you spend more hours than any of us could begin to guess-do what works for you and your family and your fans will follow, no matter the format!

Comment by christine tripp

March 1, 2009 @ 10:11 am

Just echoing everyone else, do what you must do, we will all just be here waiting, I’m sure not going anywhere:) In fact, it will give me a chance to go through the archives and enjoy those podcasts all over again (like the reread of a good book) and then appreciate the newest uploads all the more!

I’ll be waiting the posting of Jarrett Krosoczka’s interview with much anticipation. I’m sure you have seen his video’s, the “book tour”, “the making of monkey boy” and the one where he struggles to come up with the idea for “lunch lady”. He is hilarious, the boy has a future in the movies if he leaves the book world:)
Chris

Comment by Karen

March 1, 2009 @ 11:27 am

Please don’t trow in the towel. I love your podcast. I agree with the others. I appreciate JOMB no matter where you are creating it from. Podcast when it’s suits your schedule. Family first. Thanks!

Comment by Heidi Estrin

March 1, 2009 @ 11:41 am

We’re all on the same page here – the coffeeshop atmosphere is nice but it’s NOT the reason we listen. We listen because you guys have great things to say and an engagingly enthusiastic way of saying it. Just record whenever and wherever it makes the most sense for you. And you’re such a sound maven, Mark, I’m sure you’ll make sure we can still hear you even if a louder coffeeshop turns out to be your most convenient venue.

Comment by Heidi Estrin

March 1, 2009 @ 11:42 am

Oh, and congrats to Lucy and Bayla on winning the dog battle!

Comment by Marilyn

March 1, 2009 @ 12:33 pm

Family is first….your loyal and new listeners will follow whatever the format, where ever you meet and whenever YOU decide. Great work!

Comment by Nancy

March 1, 2009 @ 12:44 pm

Can’t wait for those videos! JOMB is such an asset to our community. It doesn’t matter where or when you record, although I did like the coffee shop noise, but home noise is fine too. More shows please!

Comment by Fran Cannon Slayton

March 1, 2009 @ 2:25 pm

I think you should do what is least stressful for yourselves and your family. It matters not where you are to me – just matters that you keep on keeping on . . . Best wishes for a smooth ride through the blender – we all go through it at one time or another!

March 1, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

Aaah, Shucks! You folks are far too kind.
Thank each of you so much for taking the time to leave such supportive comments. All this praise should keep us fuelled up for another 1007 posts! (this was our 1007th post, btw). ||:THANK YOU!:||

Comment by Andy

March 2, 2009 @ 9:54 am

You guys rock! It’s understandable if you have to cut back because of schedules, etc. but def don’t throw in the towel. As for where you record from, the coffee shop does have a sort of natural vibe to it that I think is conducive talking about children’s books for some reason. It is a little louder but not to the point of being a distraction. I think without it, things might seem a little flat.

Salivating to see the videos (and still jealous of your trip!)

All the best!

Comment by Mélanie

March 2, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

Hi, I live in the UK and I absolutely love your podcast, and I don’t mind where you record it. The background noise doesn’t bother me particularly, and it certainly does not stop your enthusiasm getting through to us!
Like the others, I look forward ot seeing the videos.

Comment by Alycia in Virginia

March 4, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

I appreciate any time that you donate towards these wonderful podcasts. Given this crazy time for everyone with the economy, just continue to put GOD first, family second, podcast third :)

In other words, do what works best for you. Background noise doesn’t bother me, I’m not a stickler for a podcast being available by a certain time/date, just continue to do what you do….we’ll all continue to hang around and listen- regardless, because you guys do such a great job.

Alycia

Comment by Liddy

March 8, 2009 @ 10:10 am

One more voice of support- do whatever you need to do. I love listening to your enthusiasm and passion about all these books!