Celebrating our 500th Episode: Chapter Book Chatter

Wednesday, December 31, 2008.

To celebrate the 500th episode of our JustOneMoreBook! Children’s Book Podcast, our daughters, Lucy (9) and Bayla (7), share their thoughts on a few of their favourite chapter books.

Books mentioned:

We hope you’ll help us celebrate by sharing some of your favourite chapter book titles in our comments section.

Thank you for making our 500 episodes possible. Looking forward to show #1000.

Andrea & Mark

Comment by daisy

December 31, 2008 @ 12:19 pm

You’ve got 2 wonderful girls and it’s heartwarming to hear their passion for books! I’m reading Enid Blyton’s wishing chair stories to my 5 yr old son and he is loving it. We also think Julia Donaldson’s books are wonderful – The Gruffalo, The Snail and the Whale, The Smartest Giant in Town.

UK

December 31, 2008 @ 12:52 pm

Thank you, Daisy!
Our favourite Julia Donaldson’s are Room on the Broom & The Gruffalo. Will have to get our hands on the wishing chair stories. Happy New Year!

Comment by Jen Robinson

December 31, 2008 @ 1:28 pm

Congratulations on your 500th episode. I enjoyed this episode a lot. It’s great to hear from two kids who so clearly enjoy books. I especially liked “I superdy-dooper loved this book” (or something similar to that). I look forward to 500 more podcasts from you! Happy New Year!

December 31, 2008 @ 1:50 pm

Thank you, Jen. It was really fun to sit and reflect on the fun we’d had reading recently. I noticed afterwards that there was a very high British and Canadian trend in their favourites. The only American books they counted among their standouts were Penderwicks, Benedict, Dodger & Ivy&Bean. This is extremely surprising, given the books they read and have access to. We’ll have to do this more often and see if it balances out.

Comment by Natasha Wing

December 31, 2008 @ 2:22 pm

Congratulations on your 500th episode and many more ahead! Thanks for supporting the book industry and authors.
P.S. I am also a fan of the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Comment by John Speno

January 1, 2009 @ 11:45 am

Well done, Everyone! I’m listening to this show right now! :-)

Thank you for making “Just One More Book”. I get a lot out of it and my kids do too.

Happy New Year!

Comment by Bookie Woogie

January 2, 2009 @ 2:17 pm

Great reviews Lucy and Bayla! There are quite a few of these books that I want to get a hold of now. Thanks!
AZ

January 2, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

Natasha, John & Aaron,

Thanks for giving us a reason to create JOMB and for taking the time to leave such kind comments. Happy New Year! Happy Reading!

Comment by Terry

January 5, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

Oh, good … I’m not too late to the party! Congratulations Andrea and Mark. It’s so neat to hear Andrea open the show and to sit in on the discussions. C got The Penderwicks for Christmas, and now I’m really excited about sharing it!

January 5, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

Thanks, Terry!

I hope you and C. enjoy The Penderwicks.

Comment by Sarah Ackerley

January 5, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

This was very informative! I can’t wait to get my copy of “You’re a Bad Man, Mr. Gum” after it was called “super-de-duper” by the girls. It sounds like a riot!

Comment by Sarah Ackerley

January 28, 2009 @ 1:03 am

I finally got You’re a Bad Man, Mr. Gum in the mail all the way from the UK. This is a hysterical book! My 2nd grade students can’t get enough of it. I think it’s super-de-duper too :)

Pingback by Interview with Francesca Simon

July 27, 2009 @ 6:54 am

[...] of the Horrid Henry books are mentioned in our 500th episode, Chapter Book Chatter.  By the way, we’re 9 episodes away from 600, now (not including our 21 part Rock Stars of [...]