Stuck on Classics: Lester Fizz, Bubble-Gum Artist

Wednesday, November 12, 2008.

Lester Fizz, Bubble-Gum Artist Author: Ruth Spiro (on JOMB)
Illustrator: Thor Wickstrom (on JOMB)
Published: 2008 Penguin (on JOMB)
ISBN: 0525478612

Chapters.ca Amazon.com

Celebrated works of art pop up in the silliest of circumstances in this cleverly illustrated tale of a frustrated young artist in search of his niche.

Also mentioned in the discussion is Museum ABC published by The New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.

More adventures in The Arts on JOMB:

HOTLINE VOICES: Thanks to Illustrator Kelly Murphy for reminding us about the classic book The Story of Ferdinand (by Munro Leaf and Robert Lawson).

We’d love to hear your thoughts on a favourite children’s book. Leave us a voice message on our JOMB listener hotline, +1-206-350-6487.

Comment by DejahView

November 12, 2008 @ 1:47 am

I LOVE The Story of Ferdinand. I actually just read it to my daughter tonight. It’s such a nice change of pace from the competitive attitude that pervades our culture, and a great reminder to be true to one’s self. Thanks for the comment on my blog, and I can’t wait to listen to the podcast with Eva Ibbotson (will my kids ever go to sleep? We shall see). Do you have other favourites of hers that I should check out?

November 12, 2008 @ 5:25 am

Thanks for stopping in, Dejah.

Our favourite Eva Ibbotsons are: The Star of Kazan, Monster Mission, The Beasts of Clawstone Castle, The Secret of Platform 13 and Which Witch? Dial-a-Ghost, The Great Ghost Escape. We have started Journey to the River Sea…

You can find a review of these books by our Lucy (then 8) here and our interview with Eva Ibbotson on her 83rd birthday here.

Hope you enjoy these too!!

Comment by Lee Wind

November 12, 2008 @ 11:08 am

Hi Mark, Hi Andrea,
I heard a great story about Lester Fizz, Bubble Gum Artist – that the author, Ruth Spiro, actually went and registered an official “Bubble Gum Day” at some official holiday registry in the US – and then after building up a following of people passionate about bubble gum, a few years later her book came out – and she had this audience, all ready to POP for her book… I thought that was incredibly clever.
Now, after hearing you talk about it, I can’t wait to read it with my daughter!
Oh, and props to you both for the list of other art related podcasts you’ve done – that was REALLY clever, and a very smart way to help us navigate your awesome archives!!!
Good going!

Namaste and two hugs,
Lee

Comment by Holly Cupala

November 12, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

This is just to say, YIPPEEE for Just One More Book! For your exciting news, and for all you do for the kidlit world.

Comment by Gregory Walters

November 12, 2008 @ 8:10 pm

Your discussion of Lester Fizz, Bubble-Gum Artists brings to mind several other books that touch on self-perceptions of students as artists (e.g., The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds) or introduce children to famous artists (e.g., Badly Drawn Dog by Emma Dodson and Art Fraud Detective by Anna Nilsen). One that I particularly treasure is the wordless book, You Can’t Take a Balloon into the National Gallery by Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman and Robin Preiss Glasser. While parts of this last book, particularly the famous Americans hidden in the drawings, may be lost on young Canadians, the parallel story lines between the balloon-at-large and the family in the museum and between the works of art in the museum and outdoor locations in Washington, D.C., make this a brilliantly conceived book.

Comment by Tara Lazar

November 13, 2008 @ 4:50 pm

Love this site! Just found it via the 21-day comment challenge. I’ll be back!