Do you include war & peace in your young children’s reading?

Saturday, November 8, 2008.

What We RememberOk. The KidLit Comment Challenge is well underway and we’re just not getting enough attention, so we’ve decided to fish for comments. (is begging allowed??)

Leave us a comment to let us know:

• Do you include war & peace in your young children’s reading?
  • If not, why not?
  • If you do, why? Which books on war and peace do you recommend?

You can find some of our favourite books on war and peace themes here.

Come on! Talk to us!

Filed under: Discussions

Comment by Tricia

November 8, 2008 @ 4:07 pm

Yes! I read Sami in the Time of Troubles with my students to help the understand how war alters lives. It is set in the middle east, so it allows me to talk about what is happening right now (even though the book is set during a different war).

I also share the Butter Battle Book with older students to talk about why we don’t need to proliferate bigger and “better” weapons.

Currently I am sharing the poems in Lee Bennett Hopkins anthology America at War to help students see how this country has been impacted by war.

While I don’t share Holocaust books with young students, I do share a number of books about Japanese internment during WWII. Students are always amazed that the US acted in this fashion. One of my favorites on this theme is Baseball Saved Us.

Great question! I can’t wait to read what others have to day.

November 8, 2008 @ 7:41 pm

Tricia,

Thanks so much for stopping in and for sharing some war & peace titles.

I agree re: the internment embarrassment. Our favourites on that theme are Mr. Hiroshmi’s Garden,Naomi’s Tree and A Place Where Sunflowers Grow. Naomi’s Road is another brilliant book on the subject, but I’ve never yet managed to bring myself to read it aloud…

Comment by Cynthia

November 9, 2008 @ 1:48 am

I have read quite a bit about the revolutionary war and civil war to my 7-year-old daughter–both non-fiction and historical fiction. We also read biographies about Christian missionaries and these often include references to wars. I think that it is important for her to understand how our freedom was won and the important of protecting freedom.

Comment by kim baker

November 9, 2008 @ 12:37 pm

My kids are still little, so we don’t talk about it much. We do have a favorite book about fascism, though. :) Araboolies of Liberty Street written by Sam Swope and illustrated by Barry Root, is just plain awesome.

Comment by Cathy June Arneson

November 9, 2008 @ 11:01 pm

My children are grown, but I highly recommend “The Cello of Mr. O”. It is beautifully written and illustrated with sensitivity from child’s point of view. In a worn torn community, it depicts very real everyday people, who put their own feelings and fears aside for others. Your podcast of this story is very well done.

Comment by Alkelda the Gleeful

November 10, 2008 @ 1:07 am

We’ve talked about the American Civil Rights movement and about soldiers going overseas, but the time doesn’t seem right for my 5 1/2 year old daughter. We don’t have a tv in the house, so she doesn’t see the news, but she hears us talking about things that concern us, and has asked questions. She’s going to have plenty of time to grapple with the issues of war and peace on a world level. Right now, we’re reading books about conflicts and peace-making on a personal level a la Ramona Quimby’s struggles with Susan of the “boing-boing curls.”

Pingback by Creating the A Bear in War documentary: my workflow (part 1)

November 10, 2008 @ 7:27 am

[...] connecting world conflict in 1917 with world conflict in 2008, the human factor in war time and engaging with children on an important topic (rather than pretending it doesn’t [...]

November 10, 2008 @ 2:03 pm

Cynthia, Kim, Cathy & Alkelda, Thanks for stopping in and for sharing your thoughts. It’s a tough call so it’s interesting to see some different perspectives.

Comment by Janet Brown

November 12, 2008 @ 5:18 am

One of the books about war and peace is Heroes by Ken Mochizuki, which never fails to make my skin prickle. It plainly shows that peace doesn’t come easily after a war, and is hindered in ways that filter down to childhood. Ken’s picture books are always short stories with a lot of depth, and this book is no exception.