Ritual, Respect, Regret & Reflection: The Unknown Soldier

Wednesday, November 5, 2008.

The Unknown SoldierAuthor: Linda Granfield (on JOMB)
Published: 2008 Scholastic Canada (on JOMB)
ISBN: 043993558X

Chapters.ca

Accessible narrative, detailed annotations and a thought-provoking collection of photographs, postcards, pins and poems shed light on the ceremony, symbolism, chronology and controversy commemorating our global family’s losses to war.

More books about war and peace on JOMB:

HOTLINE VOICES: Author Alison McGhee shares the reasons why Swiss Family Robinson (by Johann D. Wyss) is one of her childhood favourites.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on a favourite children’s book. Leave us a voice message on our JOMB listener hotline, +1-206-350-6487.

Comment by Judy Howard

November 6, 2008 @ 12:53 pm

My children’s staff passed on your website so I could listen to the podcast of the Unknown Soldier by Linda Granstein. I listened and was quite moved. We have Linda’s book in our library collection and after reading it this morning I was moved to tears.
Judy Howard

November 6, 2008 @ 1:16 pm

Thank you for listening and for taking time to comment. Linda Granfield is doing Remembrance presentations in libraries and schools this month and I hear that she is a fabulous speaker.

Comment by Lee Wind

November 6, 2008 @ 5:06 pm

It seems such an unlikely subject for a children’s book, and yet… it is also really important. I find that it’s really challenging explaining WAR to my 5 year old daughter. Especially when I don’t agree with it. Especially when the costs in lives is so high. Especially…

Thanks for including a discussion of books about the darker side of human choices, and the consequences. I agree with your girls that it sounds like a sad book.

important, but sad.

best,
Lee

November 6, 2008 @ 5:46 pm

Lee,

Thanks for listening & for commenting. Congrats on number eleven!

Our personal children’s book collection, and our year-round reading, has always included a huge number of books on themes of war & peace. I believe that these books and the many, far-reaching conversations that result from reading these books together are essential tools toward understanding, appreciating and preserving Peace.

If we don’t agree with war, I believe that we must give our children a safe but honest look at the global and very personal costs of war in hopes that they’ll understand the absolute importance of choosing peace.

Very sad reading, indeed, but hopefully leading to a less sad and more peaceful future.

Andrea

Comment by SugarJones

November 7, 2008 @ 12:00 pm

My daughter keeps asking me about war. I try to explain it to her, but there are far too many aspects of why, how, who, what… each question leading me down a path of what-is-too-much-information-for-this-innocent-heart? I think this is a great way to explain. There’s so much compassion for people when told in this way. Thanks!

Pingback by Do you include war & peace in your young children’s reading?

November 8, 2008 @ 10:38 am

[...] You can find some of our favourite books on war and peace themes here [...]

Pingback by Nonfiction Monday Round-up « Picture Book of the Day

November 10, 2008 @ 11:52 am

[...] Book of the Day (Sharks) 2. JOMB (The Unknown Soldier) 3. JOMB (A Bear in War) 4. Lori Calabrese Writes (Dirt on Their Skirts) 5. Abby the Librarian [...]

Comment by Clare Bell

November 10, 2008 @ 1:14 pm

Good post. Kids need to understand war and all its consequences. The more they know, the better the chance that future generations will be able to avoid it. I have tried in my own work to show workable alternatives to fighting, even though my characters are ferocious cats.
BTW, I really enjoyed your presentation at KidLit08 – “There’s a Podcaster At The End Of This Book”. Keep up the great work. Peace. CB

November 10, 2008 @ 2:04 pm

Thanks, Clare!
And thanks for making us a stop on your non-fiction round today.

Comment by Jill (The Well-Read Child)

November 10, 2008 @ 8:18 pm

This sounds like an amazing book as does Angel Girl and many of your other War and Peace themed books. I used to teach ESL to middle graders and high school students from around the world, many of whom were from war-torn countries. What surprised me the most is that they WANTED to talk about their experiences, some of which were horrifying. While it may have been painful, I think they would have definitely appreciated these books and truly identified with them. Thanks for talking about them.