Interview with Henrik Drescher

Monday, June 16, 2008.

Henrik DrescherAs with many creative disciplines, some children’s book creators produce works that are more artistic in nature — books that have limited commercial appeal. Those are the authors with small yet loyal fan base and you’re missing out by not knowing about them.

One such example is author and illustrator, Henrik Drescher, creator of many children’s books including Turbulence: A Log Book, Simon’s Book and Hubert the Pudge: A Vegetarian Tale, and illustrator of books by Judy Sierra and Eric Metaxas.

On this edition of Just One More Book!!, Henrik Drescher speaks with Mark about his book McFig and McFly: A Tale of Jealousy, Revenge and Death (with a Happy Ending), storytelling mojo and the privilege of being a children’s book creator.

Other authors mentioned:

Pingback by Audio interview with author/illustrator Henrik Drescher | Children's Writing Web Journal

June 16, 2008 @ 6:18 pm

[...] Drescher is a skilled and compelling artist, and I suggest a visit to his site — http://www.hdrescher.com/ — as a complement to the interview. You can find the podcast at http://www.justonemorebook.com/2008/06/16/interview-with-henrik-drescher/ [...]

Comment by christine tripp

June 16, 2008 @ 10:38 pm

Candlwick is a totally mainstread publisher (a publisher that is hard to attaine for most of us) and so Hendrick has obviously found a niche. It is not easy to be published, Hendrick may be talking about about self publishing, which only is limited to the money you have to get your book published.
I have illustrated 40 books but there is a difference between illustrating and being an author/illustrator and going with a main stream publisher as Hendrick has.
Not sure what I make of this interview.

Comment by Debbie

June 17, 2008 @ 9:38 am

Great interview!

Comment by Ronyell Coaxum

June 18, 2008 @ 10:24 pm

I love this interview!!! I never knew that Henrik Drescher felt so deeply about illustrating his own books and hearing him say that he enjoys illustrating pictures that pleases him just makes him one of the greatest illustrators in history.

Comment by Curious Art

July 12, 2008 @ 10:41 pm

I’m a huge fan of Henrik Drescher’s work– everything he creates warrants celebration. I’ve just ordered this book through my local bookstore, & can’t wait to possess it. I’m an illustrator myself & find intense inspiration in his openness, energy & individuality.

Comment by Arturino Fallico, IV.

July 24, 2008 @ 12:59 am

I have known Henrik since my schools in Florence, Italy, circa 1978. He was/is a VERY talented guy – full of creativity and imagery. Unfortunately NONE of my Art professors in school (Villa Schifanoia) admired his genius work – NOW look at him! Famous as heck! If ONLY I had Henrik’s talent!(maybe his good looks too?). I am a professional Mail-Artist and Henrik has inspired me to grow as an artist (I am only 5′ 3″). Henrik is ALSO a dedicated father to all his kids! Bravo Art Buddy!

Comment by Ryan

July 30, 2008 @ 12:17 am

Incredible artist but a very hard man to locate more info about. Thank you for the interview.

Pingback by Margaret Kimball | Design. Illustration. And Other Thinkings. » Secret Lives of Artists’ Books: Stories of Nonfiction

February 12, 2010 @ 10:39 pm