Interview with Eva Ibbotson

Monday, January 21, 2008.

Photo of Eva Ibbotson from Camden New JournalHer books are wonderfully imaginative, action-packed, suspenseful and filled with vividly humourous characters and situations with great messages about human nature.

And today, January 21, 2008, she’s celebrating her 83rd birthday. (Happy Birthday, Ms. Ibbotson!)

On this edition of Just One More Book, Mark speaks with author Eva Ibbotson about — among other things — her childhood experiences, her writing process and style, and why children connect with orphans.

Books mentioned:

Click here for Eva Ibbotson book reviews by Lucy.

Schumann’s Cello Concerto, third movement from the Internet Archive (performers unknown).

Photo: Camden New Journal

Comment by James McCann

January 22, 2008 @ 2:28 am

Wow! What a fantastic person to get to interview!

Wow!

January 22, 2008 @ 6:56 am

Exactly!

Having the honour of speaking with this talented, generous, witty, insightful, honest family hero has certainly been a dream come true for our whole family!

Andrea

Comment by Kevin

January 22, 2008 @ 7:28 am

Very nice to hear her voice on your show. I have read many of Eva’s books to my young boys and we LOVED the Secret of Platform 13 (but Which Witch also enthralled them).
Happy Birthday, Eva, and it is wonderful to hear that you are still writing and sharing stories with the world.
Sincerely,
Kevin

Comment by Andrea Beaty

January 28, 2008 @ 1:12 pm

Wowza! What a WONDERFUL interview! You guys rock! As, of course, does Ms. Ibbotson!

January 27, 2008 @ 3:10 pm

Kevin,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

January 28, 2008 @ 3:11 pm

Andrea,

Thanks for your enthusiasm. We sure hope you’ll pencil us in for a JOMB interview on your 83rd birthday — or the release of Doctor Ted, whichever comes first!

Andrea

Comment by Andrea Beaty

February 4, 2008 @ 12:14 pm

Why not both??????? I’m game if you are!
Andrea

Comment by Sherry Drake

May 28, 2008 @ 2:49 pm

Dear Ms. Ibbotson, I am an elementary special education teacher. My 6th graders and I have shared Journey to the River Sea as a year long project for 3 years in a row. My students and I have selected it for our favorite book ever. We would very much like a sequel and for this book to become a movie! With graditude and admiration, Sherry Drake

Comment by Lovisa C.

July 8, 2008 @ 6:34 am

Eva Ibbotson your books are fun and I love them for always ending Happily. Thank you

Pingback by A celebration of 400 episodes in two years

July 13, 2008 @ 8:29 am

[...] Eva Ibbotson [...]

Comment by Sweksha

September 1, 2008 @ 1:18 pm

That is so true!!!

That her books are really awesome. I have read almost all the books she has written. They are so imaginative, fun-packed books. Can’t tell in words how much I love her books! OBESSED
I just want you to write more children books!!! and Thankyou very much for writing books and Thankyou for the generous people who interviewed her and made a fantastic website.^_^

Pingback by Listener Submitted Reviews #16

September 14, 2008 @ 8:27 am

[...] Monster Mission, The Beasts of Clawstone Castle, The Secret of Platform 13 and Which Witch? (by Eva Ibbotson) reviewed by Lucy [...]

Comment by Dearbhail McNamara

December 26, 2008 @ 1:23 pm

I read the book “Journey to the River Sea” and was totally blown away which led me there myself

Pingback by Flow and Freedom: Journey to the River Sea

March 21, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

[...] here to listen to our chat with Eva Ibbotson on her 83rd [...]

Comment by Jessica

April 16, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

I really love Ms. Ibbotsons books and I am trying to collect all of them… i am only 15 but if you do read this Ms. Ibbotson I am doing a personal intrest project on you and would love to interview you for it myself

Comment by rimza bahadar

January 29, 2010 @ 8:46 am

wow. eva ibbotson is soo cool. she is so good at writing books that i’m compleatly absorbed in journey to river sea and am now with maia and the spiteful carters.

Comment by ANTONY GOON

February 11, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I’m a very big fan of Eva Ibbotson and it’s amazing to see her picture and her voice;she is 85yrs old now in 2010.

Comment by Chrisni Grobler

February 22, 2012 @ 11:31 am

Your books are the only ones on my shelf, that I’ve read, reread, read to the dogs, my cat, my niece and, yes, a sheep! You are missed, and will always be remembered with great affection. Thank you for creating hope. Your readers will continue to celebrate your life, and how it has influenced theirs.

Comment by Emmie

November 28, 2012 @ 2:25 pm

Eva’s books are, to me, the best children and teen books that I have read. My copies are growing worn as I have read them so many times I am truly in love with all her characters and wish the books would keep on coming!

Emmie