Interview with Joan Buzick

Monday, December 10, 2007.

Joan BuzickLet me ask you a question. What went right today?

It’s a powerful question that makes you think about your day and prompts you to give it a positive shine. It can also be a great conversation starter.

On this edition of Just One More Book, author and songwriter Joan Buzick shares how her book What Went Right Today? can start a dialog with a child, the use of a refrain in both music and books to provide an anchor for a young reader and the role that Toastmasters has had on her writing.

Comment by Sue Giachero

December 10, 2007 @ 6:55 pm

Joan’s book is marvelous and I have enjoyed sharing it with children and adults! Joan has shared this message with countless childcare providers, causing them to ask “What went right?” They in turn have challenged children to look for the things that do go right each day. Thank you, Joan, for sharing this positive message with children and families! It has given them an important question to begin countless positive conversations for years to come!

Comment by Donna Lambdin

December 11, 2007 @ 11:41 am

I’ve known Joan for years. We both have been active in the local Director’s Group and Kenyon Chapter. When she told me about her book, What Went Right Today? I engaged her to present it to the children at my child care center. It was really well received by them and the teachers. I find that it is often in their weekly plans. I bought a copy for my grandchildren and we often talk about What Went Right Today? when we are together. This is a must-have book for families.

Comment by Kathleen C. Win

December 11, 2007 @ 1:59 pm

I work as a psychiatric social worker dealing with people who have many kinds of problems and emotional pain. Using Joan’s philosophy, which she teaches us in her delightful book, I try to direct people to “What Went Right Today?” so that they have a better perspective about their lives. Thus her message is not only for children but for all of us. For children, her book starts them on a path of the positive and points them in the direction of appreciating the daily gems of experience which many of us tend to overlook. It is a path which directs a life view towards the up side rather than getting stuck down in the muck and mire of life’s problems and difficulties. It is a blessing for all of us.

Comment by Nora

December 11, 2007 @ 4:22 pm

Great interview. We should all end every day by thinking about what went right today.

“What went right?”is very important because for most of listing everything that went wrong during the day is much easier than listing the positive things that happened.

Joan is an extraordinarily talented educator whose presence at any event enlivens everyone. She has shared her extraordinary talents with my college students for several semesters!

Comment by Dianne Raunick

December 11, 2007 @ 6:17 pm

Joan’s book “What went right today!” Has been in my home for a long while. I was thrilled to read this book with my neice and nephew who enjoyed the illustrations as well as the idea and we sang the song together. I have been present when Joan has given her presentation about what went right today. Everyone leaves feeling uplifted and singing the song. I hope that Joan will have a new book and a new song to excite us all soon!

Comment by Erin Smith

December 11, 2007 @ 8:49 pm

Joan is right on in her interview when she says young children love repetition and love to share their stories!

I am an elementary school teacher and have shared Joan’s book and CD with my students. They sing along every time I read it! When a question is asked on a page, almost every hand shoots up in the air with a story they can’t wait to share. Each day it’s a different story, too.

Finding WWRT in each student’s day is so important for a teacher. I’m so glad Joan has written a fun book that kids love to read that reinforces the positive things that happen in children’s lives.

Thanks, Joan!

Comment by Michael Struk

December 12, 2007 @ 9:31 am

I love Joan’s book What Went Right Today. It has a powerful message that our society can use so badly in this day and age. People I talk to about the book agree and the reaction of children, the most important part, is overwhelming positive.

Comment by Meenal

December 12, 2007 @ 1:12 pm

You go, Joan! Wonderful!

Comment by Penelope Althoff, Ph.D.

December 12, 2007 @ 4:50 pm

“What Went Right Today” teaches a wonderful approach to everyday life for everyone!

Comment by Shashi Gupta

December 12, 2007 @ 6:34 pm

Wonderful book, Joan! This book really brightens your day, and makes you think about all the wonderful things that happened. The more people who read this, the more positive thoughts they will have; I enjoyed reading this with my family.

Comment by Marilyn

December 13, 2007 @ 3:36 pm

What a wonderful concept for children and their families. You have done a great job Joan.

Comment by STEPHANIE JARECKI

December 16, 2007 @ 6:01 pm

I bought “What Went Right Today” for my grandson, Gavin, who loves books. What a “Great” buy….We want our children to be and think positive and “What Went Right Today” is a great basic tool which teaches that, teaches it not only with words but with a very catchy tune children will love. Going thru this book contines to be fun!

Comment by Pamela Judd

December 19, 2007 @ 4:49 pm

Joan took her passion for What Went Right Today and made it a reality that has touched so many. It’s a wonderful message, book and song that I think of often. When she first shared WWRT at the
Women’s Entrepreneurial Network (WEN), her joy and excitement were contagious! I am so proud to see how Joan and WWRT are continuing to make a difference in the world.

Comment by Nick LoBue

January 1, 2008 @ 8:49 am

Having a positive attitude towards the daily aspects of a persons life has tremendous benefits. Your interview stresses very well how focusing on What Went Right Today can change your life. Transitioning from a song to a book reveals how positive thinking and positive teamwork can produce very useful and harmonious achievments.

Focusing on the good things that happen to you clearly affects the way you think about your life and what you can achieve. You can even become a good speaker as revealed in the benefits you received from Toastmasters.

Keep up the Great work – You are definitely influencing many individuals and making a difference!!!

Comment by john kelly

January 26, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

Joan’s book is an excellent read and is an invaluable tool in raising children.What Went Right Today will help parents raise emotionally healthy children and will greatly contribute to their success in life.What Went Right Today not only accesses a child’s visual primary intake sense. It also through the CD, complete with a positive jingle, and positive message for children, Accesses the child’s auditory intake sense. Which contributes to developing a more positive and confident personality in the child. John Kelly CSW,CAS author of warning signs a guidebook for parents.

Comment by Audrey Kowalski

February 9, 2008 @ 11:00 am

When Joan Buzick’s book first came out I was fortunate to hear about it and purchased a copy for myself. We also use What Went Right Today? in the childcare center where I’m a director. I just love the positive focus: no matter how bad a day is, there is something that went right. We, whether children or adults, need to focus on that. I’m glad this book is having the success it deserves!

Comment by David Rickson

February 8, 2009 @ 1:33 pm

Her book sounds interesting.