Literally Gorgeous: Monkey Business

Wednesday, April 18, 2007.

Monkey BusinessAuthor: Wallace Edwards (on JOMB)
Illustrator: Wallace Edwards
Published: 2004 Kids Can Press (on JOMB)
ISBN: 1553374622

Chapters.ca Amazon.com

Ever wonder what pops into puzzled little minds when you throw them a new expression? This clever book, cluttered with texture, humour and eccentricity, may have your answer.

You can find a thorough and informative analysis of this book here.

Mark will be covering the International Reading Association’s 52nd Annual Conference “Literacy without boundaries”, May 13-17, 2007 in Toronto. If you’ll be there and are interested being included in the JOMB coverage of the event, please contact us at justOneMoreBook@gmail.com to set up an interview.

Comment by Irene Tanner-Yuen

April 19, 2007 @ 5:04 pm

This web site and podcast are great ideas. :)

Similar to what you said in the podcast, I find that Monkey Business (as well as Alphabeasts and especially Mixed Beasts) are very re-readable. My son, who’s 5, loves to look at the pictures over and over because they are so dense: they’re full of little jokes and wonderful imagery.

Comment by Irene Tanner-Yuen

April 19, 2007 @ 5:05 pm

Oh, and thanks for linking to my article!

Comment by Barb M.

April 19, 2007 @ 7:31 pm

I loved the idea of a book about idioms! I teach first grade and I am continually backing myself into a corner with old-fashioned expressions that flow out of my mouth. How can I explain to my class what it means when they need to “hold their horses” and that this next assignment will be “a piece of cake.” This book seems like it will be the answer to my problem.

The clever illustrations that have intricate detail laced with humor are perfect for young children. They will be exposed to works of great artists and have fun “to boot!”

Thank you for exposing me to this fine work of are for children and adults alike.

Comment by John

April 19, 2007 @ 8:43 pm

This book sounds and looks very colorful. When I here you say that there is a monkey on every page, It just makes me want to get this for my collection. The critical literacy on understanding idioms and making connections to the real world is quit a challenge. Also, the book sounds like some sort of puzzle, this would be a challenge for children to understand, why and where the monkey is located, and for what reason the author placed the monkey in that position. Thanks for the information, it’s most enlighting.

Comment by Charles Cadenhead

April 19, 2007 @ 10:49 pm

Sounds like a fun book, can’t wait to read it to the kids!

-Charles

Comment by Hughes

April 20, 2007 @ 9:22 am

The discription of the book,makes me think I think of an exciting adventure.
I can relate this to “ME LLAMO CELIA ” which tells of the life of Celia Cruz.
This book is extremely colorful and exciting, with the bright yellows, burnt oranges, bright greens and purple pictures.
The books tells of her life in Cuba, where coffee, sunshine, bright moonlit nights, story telling, fresh fruit and birds of bright colours are talked about.
Bright colorful comstumes become a part of her career as a singer.
SUGAR: used as an idiom to a singer signifies a strong, smooth and sweet voice.
Children coming from an old school home environment, would understand most idioms used by their parents.
I look forward to reading Monkey business to my class.
I hope it comes in Spanish.

Comment by Hannah Lewis

April 22, 2007 @ 6:26 pm

This books seems to be very colorful as well as exciting. It looks like tons of fun for a child as well as for an adult and a child to enjoy together. As a third grade teacher I am always making references “using idioms” within the classroom that my students do not understand. This book can help apply the real world connections for my students that are not just auditory learners. This book is exactly what I can use to make the connection for my students that are visual learners. This book is one that I need to add to my reading library.

Comment by Amanda

April 23, 2007 @ 10:48 pm

Even though I teach the 5th grade, they still struggle with understanding idioms. So thanks for sharing such a great picture rich story. It sounds like this book with help me clarify the idioms that I use in class along with the ones that we read in our text. I love the fact that this book draws students in visually, while also challenging students to loook beyond the words and explore the meaning of the text. The book also looks and sounds like something I might enjoy reading to my class leisurely. Once again, thanks for sharing.

Pingback by Semicolon

April 28, 2007 @ 11:48 pm

[...] 21. Laura (Fall on Your Knees)22. Sandy D. (I Can’t Stop! A Story about Tourette Syndrome)23. Miss Erin (Beauty Shop for Rent)24. Miss Erin (Millicent Min, Girl Genius)25. Alyssa (To Dance)26. QBR (Simple Genius)27. (QBR) Lethally Blond28. (QBR) Edgar Font’s Hunt For a House To Haunt29. Carol (The Cloister Walk)30. Carol (Book Sale Finds)31. Lori (The Last Town on Earth)32. Lori (Virus Hunter)33. Becky (Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing)34. Quixotic (The Austere Academy)35. Just One More Book! Children’s Book Podcast (Monkey Business)36. Cathy (The River King–Alice Hoffman)37. booklogged (The Magician’s Nephew)38. Framed (Water for Elephants)39. Framed (X Stands for Unknown)40. Susan (The Extremes) [...]

Pingback by Interview with Wallace Edwards