Conversation with Daniel Pinkwater

Monday, March 12, 2007.

Daniel Pinkwater -- courtesy of http://www.pinkwater.com/cgi-bin/picture_frame.plJust One More Book! is a regular contributor to the online Children’s Literature Monthly Journal, The Edge of the Forest. This information-packed online resource includes book reviews, interviews, the latest news from the online children’s/YA literature community and much more.

Our monthly audio segment is called Sounds from the Forest.

This month, Mark speaks with author Daniel Pinkwater about promoting children’s books on NPR, spending six months in his “jammies” to write The Neddiad, using the web to build an audience for the book, and why he writes children’s books.

Books mentioned:

Participate in the conversation by leaving a comment on this interview, or send an email to justonemorebook@gmail.com.

Comment by nadine charity

March 14, 2007 @ 7:30 am

Because I listen to Scott Simon every week, I have enjoyed Daniel Pinkwater for a number of years. I have read one of his books outloud to my second grade students and they still bring it up in conversations four months later. I am also reading The Neddiad each week.
Now I have been introduced though Mr. Pinkwater’s site to your lovely site. What a nice resource for teachers. I plan to listen in the morning while I am organizing my day to keep up with new children’s books. Thanks to Mr. Pinkwater for his book joy, and thanks to you for the opportunity to listen and learn.
:)n charity

Comment by Mark

March 14, 2007 @ 12:18 pm

Nadine!

Thank you so much for joining our community – and for the kind words. We are really pleased that our website and Podcast is becoming such a valued resource.

If you have a favourite children’s book, we’d love to hear about it and include it in our show.

Mark

Comment by Charles Cadenhead

March 16, 2007 @ 3:10 pm

What a great interview Mark, well done! I, too, have been a fan of Mr. Pinkwater on NPR for a while now and it’s a shame to hear that NPR is not using him as much as they use to. I hate to say this but I think NPR is sliding on a downhill slope into mediocrity. Maybe Mr. Pinkwater should podcast his wonderful stories and essays?!? Now I think I’m going to go raid our local library for Mr. Pinkwater’s books….

Keep up the great work Mark and Andrea!! ;)

-Charles

Comment by Mark

March 17, 2007 @ 6:59 am

Thanks for the great comment, Charles. It was great fun to speak with Daniel Pinkwater. I agree that he should have his own Podcast. He’s a natural.

I worry about the future of public radio (specifically, NPR and CBC) at the hands of funding issues — either lack of increase in funds, or outright cuts in government funding. One can only hope that one day they can benefit from funding models like those that make the BBC great.

Mark

Comment by jen kostecki-shaw

November 16, 2007 @ 6:07 pm

so i’m only a year and a half late for this interview, but i loved it. thank you. i love Scott Simon and Daniel Pinkwater’s segment on NPR…some folks dream of being on the oprah show, but mine is to have them read a book of mine someday. they just crack me up, kinda like the “car talk guys” of kids’ books.

your interview was great, and i let out a sigh of relief to hear Mr. Pinkwater say it took him 50 years to become a good writer…and that, in his opinion, it took him many years to write a book ‘as good as, and maybe better’ than his first book, because that self-pressure is a scary thing. there were more things, too, and so i just wanted to say thanks. i’m diggin’ your ‘just one more book’.

jenny

November 16, 2007 @ 10:26 pm

Jenny,

Thanks so much for your feedback and for sharing your thoughts on writing.

And thanks for listening — you’re always just on time for listening, whenever that may be!

Andrea

Comment by Tammie Stallings

September 13, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

Have just discovered your wonderful site. I love Daniel Pinkwater and have enjoyed listing to the podcast items you have on him and his books.

The link to The Neddiad is obsolete now (09/08) and Daniel has a different, free book to read on his site, THE YGGYSSEY: http://www.theyggyssey.com/

Thanks!

Tammie

Comment by Mark

September 13, 2008 @ 10:08 pm

Thanks, Tammie, for your great comments and for pointing out that The Neddiad is no longer an active website. I removed the links.

I’m about to check out The Yggyssey right now.

Pingback by Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast » Blog Archive » Seven Impossible InterviewsBefore Breakfast #80: Daniel Pinkwater

February 25, 2009 @ 1:02 am

[...] “Conversation with Daniel Pinkwater”; Just One More Book!!; March 12, 2007. [...]