JOMB #100! Interview with Vivian Vasquez

Friday, February 16, 2007.

CLIP PodcastToday, we break from our standard format to celebrate our 100th episode of Just One More Book! and indulge in some reflection about our enjoyment of the JOMB project.

As part of our celebration, Mark speaks with Associate Professor Vivian Vasquez of the Critical Literacy in Practice Podcast (CLIP Podcast) about the concept of critical literacy, teaching in a classroom that is framed from the critical literacy perspective, making the transition from teacher to professor and making use of new technologies to educate educators.

Special thanks to Freddie, Bob and their dad, Charles of the Mostly News and Desperate Husbands Podcasts, for sending in a 100th episode greeting!

Thank you for being part of the JOMB community.

Pingback by Critical Literacy in Practice : CLIP Podcast » Happy 100th to my Friends at JOMB!

February 16, 2007 @ 8:42 am

[...] Click here to listen to the show. [...]

Comment by Mark

February 16, 2007 @ 9:14 am

Noone ever said anything about 600 episodes! :)

Thanks for all of your support and for being a part of episode 100, Vivian.  It was great fun to speak with you.

Comment by Mark

February 16, 2007 @ 10:20 am

There appears to be a problem with the delivery of our Podcasts at the moment. I have notified our service provider and will make another post when the problem is corrected.

Comment by Mark

February 16, 2007 @ 11:43 am

Libsyn, the company that serves media files for thousands of Podcasts including Just One More Book, is reporting that there are some traffic spikes that are impacting system-wide service and that they are working to solve the problem.

Comment by Nico

February 16, 2007 @ 1:34 pm

Libsyn is being mean and doesn’t let me listen to the show. But still, congratulations!!

Comment by Mark

February 16, 2007 @ 2:21 pm

While Libsyn has not officially announced that they are back in service, I am able to download the Podcasts, again.

Mark

Comment by Charles Cadenhead

February 19, 2007 @ 8:39 am

I got it this weekend. -Charles

Giggle, giggle… We heard ourselves on a podcast!!! Giggle, giggle – Bob and Freddie.

COngrats guys! I sure hope there we be a 600th episode, I’m addicted to JOMB!

-Charles

February 19, 2007 @ 9:01 am

Charles, Bob and Freddie,

Thanks!!

Andrea

Comment by Anindita

February 20, 2007 @ 9:54 am

Dr Vivian’s interview was very engaging and insighful. I am trying to read children’s books with a critical perspective, but I never realised how I skipped certain books, like fairy tales,as I felt they were not worth having a critical discussion. I also liked the fact that critical conversations is about opening facts that parents may not otherwise be comfortable to talk about. This helps in getting to know also what goes on in the child’s mind. I just have one problem still. I dont know how to make adults learn about critical literacy. I just cant seem to get their interest. I have learned so much in a short while through ClipPodCast and JOMB and Dr Vivian. Thank you.

Comment by Hana

December 6, 2007 @ 1:23 am

JOMB #100! Interview with Vivian Vasquez
Great interview Dr. Vivian you are truly a unique and distinctive person. I think Dr. Vivian’s interview is really appreciated because it is one of her attempts to reach as many people as she can on the subject of critical literacy. As I student of her, I know that she has the ability to create obsession about the subjects of critical literacy especially with the people she is teaching. She is one of few sincere professionals in the field of education who understand how important it is to carry their message to a different level in order to be heard. Critical literacy is a serious issue because it deals with what our kids is learning and what message is being delivered to them. I agree with Dr. Vivian on the fact that every text has a message and no text is neutral. It is so important that this message be analyzed before kids can read it. I learned a lot in this course and for this reason I relay believe that this course should be one of the core course in every university that prepare teachers. Teachers’ awareness of critical literacy is very important and this is one of the reasons the effort of Dr. Vivian is valued and treasured.