Courage, Confidence & Compassion: Little Squarehead

Friday, February 2, 2007.

Little SquareheadAuthor: Peggy O’Neill
Illustrator: Denise Freeman
Published: 2001 Illumination Arts Publishing Company
ISBN: 093569921X

Chapters.ca Amazon.com

Can the way we see the world impact the way we are treated?
Do we allow ourselves to be bullied because we lack courage, confidence and compassion?

One thing for sure is that we can never change another — we can only change ourselves. This simply told and insightful look at bullying is a thought-provoking must-read for bullied, bullies and bystanders. Our girls love it.

February 5, 2007 @ 10:31 pm

Rachel,

Welcome to JOMB! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

As you can probably tell from our existing book list, I’m a big fan of the (well done) thinly veiled message so it’s great to hear your thoughts on this. It’s so easy for us adults to forget how much these little learners are processing when we, ourselves, are so removed from their learning stage. I think another component to consider is that we have also lost a good deal of our ability to suspend disbelief and immerse ourselves in the story — so often the message really jumps out at us.

I guess that’s why our own young audience often surprises us with their reaction to a book — and why they are *sometimes* the best judge of a book.

Thanks for extending the conversation. Hope to hear from you again soon,
Andrea

Pingback by Semicolon

February 10, 2007 @ 10:49 pm

[...] 15. Carrie K. (Education of a Wandering Man)16. ChristineMM (Chapter After Chapter)17. At A Hen’s Pace (Gilead)18. Shauna (The Enchanted Castle)19. Miss Erin (East)20. MotherReader (Boyfriend List and Boy Book)21. DominionFamily ( Favorite Family Read Alouds)22. Joy (Brother Odd)23. JustOneMoreBook (Little Squarehead)24. Jen Robinson (Ivy and Bean)25. HeidiJane (Woman in White)26. Nyssaneala (Mrs. Dalloway)27. Amy (Amy and Isabelle)28. Maggie (Waltzing at the Piggly-Wiggly) [...]

Comment by Jenn

April 19, 2007 @ 7:32 pm

JOMB:

This sounds like a great book for the beginning of the school year. It seems like it would be good to create community and start with a sense of belonging for each child in the classroom. I love to find new resources for my classroom!
Thanks for the summary.

Comment by Capri C.

April 23, 2007 @ 11:04 pm

Hello,
This is Capri C. this book really caught my attention because it is important to me to teach my students why they shouldn’t judge people, based on what they might look like on the outside. Judge people on the way they are on the inside. Inside my classroom I try to teach my children that, “we are all the same in here. No is better than the other, and bullying is not an option. If there is a problem with someone than you all need to tell an adult.”
Capri C.

Comment by Andy Spann

April 25, 2007 @ 9:27 pm

Hi Andrea and Mark,

This book sounds interesting. I am currently doing my practicum in a 1st grade classroom in Washington,DC. The elementary school that I am at is diverse. Bullying is not a major issue at our school but does exist and the first grade teachers that I work with think that is very important for children to recognize the act of bullying. They work on students being aware of it and help students with providing them proper techniques on how to deal with it. I think this book would be great to include in our discussions on bullying. It sounds like this book would help create a discussion on the negative impact of bullying. Also it seems like this book contains several layers that lead to self esteem, self worth, and self image and the importance of treating others the way we would like to be treated. Thanks for the review.

Andy

April 25, 2007 @ 9:57 pm

Andy,

Thanks for your note and for sharing your perspective on the relevance of this book.

We’d love to hear what you and your first-graders think of the book once you’ve read it.

Andrea