Happy Being Me: Suki’s Kimono

Wednesday, January 3, 2007.

Suki's KimonoAuthor: Chieri Uegaki
Illustrator: Stephane Jorisch
Published: 2003 Kids Can Press (on JOMB)
ISBN: 1553377524
Chapters.ca Amazon.com

This effervescent story, with its vivid, carefree illustrations and its protaganist’s refreshing win-win attitude, is a rousing celebration of individuality and joie de vivre. We love Suki!!

Comment by Chris

January 11, 2007 @ 12:04 pm

Here’s a thought. I haven’t read this one yet, but its possible from what I heard on the show that the authors were using hyperbole to show that people generally come to accept people who stick to who they are. It may have been illustrated in an exaggerated way, but its an important message, especially when the subject of the story has spent the entire story fending off nay-sayers.

I think its important that children learn that there are positive effects at the end. Yes, its important that they learn to stand up for who they are and what they believe, but its just as important to know that by doing so, you can affect change in the world around you. If Suki had come through the entire story without a positive ending, then it would have taught the readers about the importance of being who you are, but might also have left the impression that by doing so, you put yourself in a position outside of the ability to have friends and relationships.

My two cents. Talk to you soon!

Chris

Comment by Donald Seeley

January 16, 2007 @ 7:25 pm

My 5yo daughter loved the book. Her grandma bought it for her birthday this fall because I had brought back a child’s kimono for her on my last trip to Tokyo. She had volunteered (from the audience) to participate in a Japanese circle dance this summer at the Chicago area Japanese Festival. It made it very easy for her to “put herself into the story”. She’s a bit of a ham, so the idea of everyone applauding is right up her alley.

Her first comment when we read the book? “Daddy, Suki forgot her umbrella at school!”

January 16, 2007 @ 8:46 pm

Donald,

That’s a great story. It’s as though Suki’s Kimono was written for your daughter.

Until you mentioned it, I’d never noticed that Suki didn’t have her umbrella on her way home. What attention to detail.

Thanks for listening and for adding to the conversation,
Andrea

Comment by Charlene Hubbard

April 23, 2007 @ 3:52 pm

I was attracted to this title because in the Embassy Adoption Program we have the country of Japan, but lo and behold it is another book right up my alley, self identity and an unapologetic freedom in being yourself. I would love to see the illustrations because of the discussion of body language drawn by the illustrator to relay either acceptance or rejection by those in Suki’s classroom. Their discussion of the teacher caused me to do a quick check on how inviting am I to student individuality. The teacher in this book visibly showed her position by not only the way she was dressed but in her interaction with the little girl.

Comment by Katie

October 15, 2007 @ 9:30 pm

Our daughter who will be three in January adores this book. We read it every night at bedtime. She knows the first three pages by heart and many phrases through out the book. The story line has introduced events, locations, and characters we would not have run into any other way. We now discuss what street festivals are and ones we would like to attend, what kind of bathrooms are availble at street festivals, whether the paper lanterns are drawings of thunder, that calling someone a bat would not be nice to do, Mrs. Paggio would be a fabulous teacher, is that a hat, hair or a wig on Mrs. Paggio’s head, just to name a few.
On first reading our daughter was extremly distressed to see the girls walking to school by themselves.

It is not a favorite but the favorite! Suki’s hairstyle has been seen spotted around our house almost daily for the past few weeks.

What a fortunate discovery at the library! We hope for others from the author.

Pingback by Criticism, Confidence and Caring: A Very Unusual Dog

March 21, 2008 @ 6:53 am

[...] Suki’s Kimono [...]

Pingback by Brothers With Borders: The Puddle Pail

September 25, 2008 @ 9:40 pm

[...] Suki’s Kimono [...]

Comment by s. strunk

February 24, 2010 @ 9:35 am

My third grade class had these comments…..
Suki is good because she stands up for herself.
I like Suki because she doesn’t care what other people think, she just wants to have fun.
I like that Suki is independent.
I like Suki because she controls herself and doesn’t let others control her thinking.
I like Suki because she is brave. Suki supports her culture and she doesn’t care what others think.
Suki is very down to earth. Even though Suki stands up for herself, she’s kind to others.
Third grade students, Lenoir City, TN

Pingback by Soup du Jour: Unwavering Self-Worth Inside and Outside the Box

November 21, 2011 @ 6:12 am

[...] Suki’s Kimono [...]

Comment by Alexis Christy

February 8, 2012 @ 8:58 am

Great blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.