Interview with Shane Evans

Monday, October 30, 2006.

Shane EvansMark speaks with Shane Evans (illustrator of Bintou’s Braids) about illustrating children’s books that focus on social justice and civil rights, and how he developed his skills as an illustrator.

Participate in the conversation by leaving a comment on this interview, or send an email to justonemorebook@gmail.com.

Photo: www.shaneevans.com

Comment by Chuck Joy

November 9, 2006 @ 7:29 pm

Shane,

You rock, I just listened to the interview. Our young children are so important. Making reading fun and interesting is so important. I know my granddaughter loves to read and part of it is that her parents started her early. They made it fun for her to read and learn. Now they are reading to their 5 y/o son.

Best Regards,

Chuck

Comment by Marcia Berry

November 10, 2006 @ 12:23 am

I’ve known Shane for many years. My heart is full of joy to hear him articulate so clearly his process. I am proud to know that he has a solid future in his chosen path, and we are lucky to have such talent that is shaping the minds of our children, ourselves, and the world. Thank you, Shane!

Comment by Jamila

November 10, 2006 @ 12:43 am

Shane!! How wonderful. I’m very proud of you. We met our freshman year of college and I feel like we’ve grown up together. Now, as adults, it’s awesome to witness your dedication to your craft.

As a Black woman, I have to thank you for illustrating your characters with the wide array of hues that exist in our culture. It’s important for children to see the chocolate, mocha and caramel complexions, reflecting their own images. Unfortunately, I didn’t see that as a child. What you’re doing is very important. Keep it coming!
JSwift

Comment by Hope Anita Smith

November 10, 2006 @ 2:14 am

Shane,
I enjoyed the interview. I would love to see you in action when you do your presentation for kids. I also want to congratulate you on your new sight it is amazing. As always, you inspire me!

Hope Anita Smith

Comment by Michelle Wortham

November 10, 2006 @ 9:42 am

Shane,
What a blessing you are to the world. The stars were definitely in line the day you were born. Before I even met you or knew who your were, about 10 years ago I received a postcard invitation with one of your illustrations on it, and I kept it because the artwork really spoke to me. Then I met you and knew there was something great about you. Fastforward to today and all I can say is WOW! Thank you for giving yourself to us. Continue to shine!

Michelle

Comment by victor matell

November 13, 2006 @ 2:06 am

GREAT STUFF! Shane Evans, you have great illustrations that helps mankind not just the people of African descent! I agree that the images are powerful. And the writings will inspire all who read your stuff.

Matell

Comment by Aunt Cathy

November 13, 2006 @ 9:34 am

Dear Shane,

This interview brought tears of joy and pride to my eyes, as do all of your accomplishments and beautiful artwork and music. I see from all of the other comments that many people feel the power and importance of the work you are doing – multiply that by a million and that’s they way I feel!

We saw all of this in you from when you were just a little guy – even when you were a kid yourself, you had groups of children gathering around you feeling your glow of inspiration. It was truly amazing to see you leading them, playing games with them, telling stories, as you do to this day.

I know you take your inspiration from life and the world and that nothing can stop you – keep on creating and inspiring us all.

Love from your Auntie,
C.

Comment by Naru Kwina

November 13, 2006 @ 7:17 pm

Shane is not only a great illustrator, he is a wonderful, and spirited individual who’s, aurora can be felt as soon as he enters a room.
I am happy to have met him during his stay in my home town, Oakland California.
He is down to earth, and has a genuine love for people of all walks of life.
Supporting Shane’s work is highly recommended, in fact it should be mandatory.

Naru Kwina
Founder
Hip Learning

Comment by Mere Words

November 14, 2006 @ 7:36 pm

Mr. Evans!

I listen to your interview…it is so inspiring!

Many (more) Blessings!

Comment by Detoya Richburg (Neal)

January 22, 2007 @ 8:09 am

Shane,

It is so wonderful to see someone from our home town “the rock” and School of the Arts making a difference in the lives of children through the gift of reading. Thank You again for your autographed book that was donated to raise money for an elementary school auction. I hope you can grace us again with another piece of your work.

Comment by Ernie Davis Brown

January 22, 2007 @ 1:23 pm

Knowing Shane Evans for the time that I have has allowed me to see the world as a better place where things often unnoticed can become creative outlets for greater understanding and expression.

It has been great watching him grow in his craft. Shane Evans is a good human being and a true soldier for the arts and young people. He is and always will be an inspiration to me.

Comment by Marcia Jarrett Steger

January 14, 2008 @ 3:35 pm

Shane : GREAT JOB !! My daughters loves books we will support you !!

Comment by chris

June 12, 2008 @ 12:06 pm

This is really cool Shane. My neice will enjoy this! Thanks!

Comment by June Krone(Giambrone)

November 29, 2009 @ 7:15 am

Dear, Sweet Shane,
I was (and am) a friend of your wonderful Mom. The talent that both your parents have was blended and awkened in you. I knew your Grandparents and the farm and the smell of the grapes in the hot summer sun, and I know that all of these essences, all of these spirits have made you, you! I remember you as a baby, with the softest afro of hair that just gave you a charm…and now, young man, I have to ask why you put all that beauty under a hat!! As I teach young people, I do bring your story into my work. You knew what hard work and sacrifice was. Life and family showes you that. You had a talent and a dream of your own and I love that you point out the family that stood behind you. As I read to my own grandchildren, I believe that their eyes read a story from the illustrations, long before the words. What is in you, must come out, does come through, and inspires the dreams of all who dare to imagine. You get it. And, I am so very proud of you. Peace. June