A Father and Son Reunion: The Bat Boy and his Violin

Monday, October 16, 2006.

The Bat Boy and his ViolinAuthor: Gavin Curtis
Illustrator: E. B. Lewis
Published: 2001 Simon & Schuster (on JOMB)
ISBN: 0689841159

Chapters.ca Amazon.com

In this touching tale, a frustrated and distant father comes to see his son through new eyes. Mark loves this one.

Comment by Joshua

January 21, 2007 @ 5:17 pm

I know Gavin Curtis personally,he was my 3rd grade teacher In Museum school #25 in Yonkers,NY 10701.This man is a amazing,he has a wide perspective on everything from politics to comic strips.

January 21, 2007 @ 5:32 pm

Joshua,

Thanks for filling in some blanks for us. How lucky for you to have such a talented and generous teacher!

I’m so glad you found our site. I believe you are our first teenage commenter! It means a lot to us that you have joined the conversation.

Andrea

Comment by Gavin Curtis

January 23, 2007 @ 9:51 pm

What a thrill to have my former student clue me in to this site (I suspect Joshua’s name will be featured in the authors and/or illustrators lists soon enough! It was fun feeling like a fly on the wall while people spoke of my book. Keep up the good work!

Best,
Gavin Curtis

January 23, 2007 @ 9:53 pm

Gavin,

What an honour to have you stop in, listen, and leave your thoughts. Thank you!

We hope you’ll let us know when Joshua has a book out.

Andrea

February 6, 2007 @ 11:46 am

Anindita,

I agree.

May I also recommend “Across the Alley” by Richard Michelson and also illustrated by E. B. White. This is another one of our huge favourites. Since we have featured “oh no not ghosts!” as well as an interview with Richard Michelson, we are restraining ourselves from featuring “Across the Alley” immediately — but it’s tough because it is a FABULOUS and inspiring book!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, giving us more to think about and inspiring more conversation! We look forward to hearing more from you soon,
Andrea

Comment by alan cruz

April 6, 2007 @ 6:12 pm

What a touching story. I will have read it to my nieces. It so nice to see something that doesn’t dumb down the american public. A really nice treat!

Comment by Mike

February 6, 2008 @ 2:43 pm

I am reading your story about The Bat Boy. My students would like to know if you are African-American.

Pingback by Greatness, Gratitude and Generosity: Piano Starts Here (The Young Art Tatum)

March 30, 2008 @ 8:04 pm

[...] The Bat Boy and His Violin [...]

Pingback by Book Review: The Bat Boy & His Violin by Gavin Curtis | Book Dads: Fathers That Read!

January 28, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

[...] Just One More Book [...]

Comment by ta'kim

January 22, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

MR. CURTIS IS WICKED COOL HE WAS MY THIRD GRADE TEACHER IN MUSEUM 25. HE DRAWS ON HIS FOLDERS SOMETIMES AND HIS DRAWINGS ARE AMAZING! I LIKE MR.CURTIS AS A TEACHER BECAUSE HE IS SUPER FUNNY, HONEST, AND RESPECTFUL.MR.CURTIS DOES GANGSTER BARNEY AND HE SOUNDS REALLY REALLY FUNNY.