Our all time favourite: Petite Rouge, A Cajun Red Riding Hood

Thursday, July 20, 2006.

Author: Mike Artell
Illustrator: Jim Harris
Published: 2003 Puffin USA
ISBN: 0142500704

Chapters Amazon

A hilarious Cajun version of the traditional Red Riding Hood story. The illustrations are full of movement and emotion. The rhyming text is phonetically written in Cajun slang and is a riot to read aloud. This is our all time favourite.

SUMMARY: A spunky little girl-duck named “Petite Rouge” and her quick thinking cat, “TeJean”, take a pirogue across the swamp to bring gumbo and boudin to Petite’s sick “grand-mere”. They meet up with a gator named “Claude” and eventually outwit him with a quick, creative and final solution to his taste for people (people being ducks and cats).

Comment by vivian

July 22, 2006 @ 10:56 pm

Andrea and Mark, congratulations on getting this podcast going. Andrea, I moved from the ranks of listener to podcaster also after PAB (www.clippodcast.com) .

Just a quick note to let you know how much fun it is to hear the two of you enjoying the books you are talking about!

See you at PAB 2007!

Comment by Linda

July 23, 2006 @ 11:50 pm

Came across your site while searching for great kids books. GREAT commentary. I can’t wait to get the books you covered. I have already ordered them online and have them on rush delivery. Looking forward to upcoming editions of your show….waiting….

Comment by Kate

April 23, 2007 @ 8:23 pm

You are so right: this is a book that demands that the reader take on the voice. I came across this book title when I was doing a unit on fractured fairy tales, but I didn’t hear it until just recently, when a parent volunteered to read aloud to my class. The best part? She is a professional actress, so her voices and Cajun accent were unbelievable. (I am almost scared to read it out loud myself, having heard her rendition…) I love the dialect, and I love that the kids don’t necessarily understand all the slang, but yet still completely comprehend the story.

I also want to say that I am just discovering this website through a class assignment and I know I am going to be coming back often. This site makes me feel like I am sitting around, listening to friends recommend books that I know my students will love. Teachers need a jolt of inspiration, and this provides it.

April 23, 2007 @ 9:02 pm

Kate,

What a treat to hear an professional actor reading the cajun voices!

Thanks so much for the kind words re: JOMB.

We are very happy to hear that you will be coming back often. I hope, when your school year winds down, you’ll tell us about a favourite book so we can featur your audio in a Listener Submitted Review edition.

Andrea

Comment by Frances Lavigne

October 24, 2008 @ 10:40 am

I love this book. I like more than the kids. They are 11 and 9 and I still read it and they love it. Yes, you do have to do the voices. I am 36 and It cheers me up evertime I read it because it is so fun. I am from Louisiana but living in Florida now and I plan on reading it to my daughters school 1st graders. I am getting the three cajun pigs. I am excited because I know it will be great.

Comment by lin smith

November 23, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

i took a child lit class and we had to choose a book to read from and i chose petite rouge. the college students loved it. they laughed all through it and there was lots of applause and many compliments. a few weeks later while christmas shopping i ran into one of my classmates, an education major. she said she bought the book and read it to some elementary school children and they loved it. i love it too.

Pingback by Cajun voice | Everythingturb